Towards the end of last year, we reported that WhatsApp will be adding a Digital Payment Option to its platform. It looks like the feature is finally here. The WhatsApp’s Beta Version of Android and iOS has started showing the payment option inside the app.
The payment feature inside the instant-messaging service is being dubbed as WhatsApp Pay. It allows users to pay to their WhatsApp contact via UPI (Unified Payments Interface) linked directly to your bank account without leaving the app.
Once the feature is enabled for everyone to use, WhatsApp will be at the helm of the digital payment service. No other payment apps in India has as many users as WhatsApp as of now. On an average, the Facebook-owned service has 1.5 billion daily active users.
According to reports, iOS beta version v2.18.21 has the UPI-based payment option, while WhatsApp Android running version v2.18.41 has this option reflecting for some users. The option for UPI-based payments shows up in the attachments segment next to Documents, Gallery, Audio, Location, Contact, etc.
How To Send and Recieve Money to your Whatsapp Contacts:
1. Open your WhatsApp and tap on the three dots at the top right corner of the screen.
2. Select Payment option from the list. It will redirect you to the page that will verify your phone number to begin the UPI setup process.
Note: The registered mobile number on WhatsApp should be the same as one linked on the account.
3. Mobile number is verified, you will be given a list of banks that you can add to make payment. That’s it you are all set to send and receive payment.
- To Make Payment using WhatsApp payment feature, Go to the Chat Page of the contact you want to send money -> Tap on the Attachment Icon -> There you will find the new Payment Thumbnail alongside gallery, video, and other options.
- Once you select the payment thumbnail, it will redirect to a screen where you just have to feed the Amount and the Personal Identification Number to make the payment. Click on send and your money is sent.